CASTLE GREEN MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
Guidelines for the use of Castle Green
Unique in terms of its local and national historical importance, and being a Scheduled Ancient Monument, Castle Green is now owned by the Parish, on behalf of the village of Sulgrave. It is one of the few large areas of land available within the village and is open to all sections of the community.
It is intended that the ‘Green be used for village events and recreation and is complimentary to, rather than a duplication of Pocket Park.
In order to preserve and retain the wild nature of the ‘Green, ensure maximum enjoyment for all and because it is a scheduled ancient monument, the Castle Green Management Committee has produced the following guidelines:
- It is acknowledged that there will be occasions when vehicles need to be driven onto the ‘Green to support a specific activity (i.e.: to deliver / collect equipment) but this should be kept to an absolute minimum.
- The ‘Green should not be used as a place to park motor vehicles at any time except, by tradition the bi annual Open Gardens Scheme.
- Heavy motor vehicles are only permitted with special permission of the committee.
Cultivating the Ground
- There will be selective mowing and planting, by members of the Castle Green Management Committee, to encourage the bio-diversity of the ‘Green, together with appropriate wildlife control.
- Any other breaking up of the ground (e.g. ploughing, drainage etc); tipping, dumping of any materials and/or flooding is not permitted.
- The planting of trees, including the replacement of any dead or dying trees is not permitted.
- Horses and ponies, cattle and/or sheep are not permitted to graze the ‘Green at any time and horses should not be ridden on the Green
- Excrement left by dogs or other animals on the ‘Green must be removed and disposed of by their owners.
- Camping (with Caravans and/or Tents) is not permitted on the ‘Green at any time.
- Only informal sports/games are allowed
- The lighting of fires and/or barbeques is not permitted at any time.
- The use of unauthorised metal detectors is prohibited.
Requests to use the Green ~
Those wishing to organise a specific event and/or activity on the ‘Green should contact the Parish Clerk.
Castle Green Management Committee