Back to "130 Years in Photographs" Home Page
Sadly, there are very few photographs of the Cricket Club which flourished until the early 1950s, playing in Madam's Close or the very successful Billiard Club, playing in what is now the Village Shop but which was once commonly known as "The Billiard Room". There are even less photographs of the Tennis Club which played on the court at Sulgrave House in the 1960s and 1970s.These few photographs can be seen below and further examples would be gratefully received and added to this page. There was a Sulgrave Football Club in the early 1900s and this was resurrected in 1954, playing in the local Banbury League until 1963. There are more photographs from this period and these can be seen separately on this special Sulgrave Football Club page. Click on any of the images below to see a larger version with the names of the players where known and use your computer's scroll bars to move around it.
Sulgrave Football Club (The Magpies) in the 1890s or early 1900s.
Sulgrave Cricket Team in 1925 or 1926.
Sulgrave Cricket Team in the 1930s.
Sulgrave Billiard Club Team in the 1960s.
Sulgrave Billiard Club Team in the 1970s.
Photo: Colin Wootton.
Sulgrave Tennis Club. Tony Butcher in the 1960s.